California being what it is, though, you'd have to drive to the moon. And in 405 traffic, that'd take forever.
![]() |
| Heaven? |
Delightful. Right?
"So surely," you protest, "the weather must be worth it! It's [single digit temperature] here in [midwestern state/northeastern state/Canada/other geographically-challenged location] and gosh darn, I sure would like me some palm trees and sunshine!" First off, my name's Laverne. But sure. Weather's great. That's why so many people fantasize about southern California and why my region, specifically, is featured in so many damn TV shows.
![]() |
| Appealing, right? But you should only move to Laguna Beach if you plan NEVER to leave. |
But right now, I commute about 200 miles a week, and technically, I work from home. When I bring this fact into sharp focus, which usually happens while I'm parked on the 405NB at 4:30 pm, all other reasons for living in southern California seem asylum-worthy in comparison. I guess the appeal of teleportation as a quotidian convenience didn't really hit home for me til I moved to a metropolitan area where public transit is a punchline.
![]() |
| That's me in the corner... that's me in the top right, losing my will to live. |
"X Reasons" articles and blogs are all the rage, so I'll go along. Without further ado:
SEVEN RANDOM, UNRELATED, NON-SEQUENTIAL, AND POORLY CONSIDERED REASONS OBAMA SHOULD DUMP HALF THE FEDERAL BUDGET INTO R&D FOR TELEPORTATION
1) Assuming teleportation doesn't involve releasing carbon from human bodies (which would be a whole other issue), this would be the most environmentally friendly form of transportation ever. Hooray!
![]() |
| Yeah, I'm seeing red allright. |
Actually.... if I were in jail, at least I wouldn't have to drive...
![]() |
| Or maybe it's just this guy I'd like to flip off. |
3) Corollary: Sure would feel good to give Big Oil the finger, wouldn't it?
4) Time for NASA to get with the program. Take your budget and shove it... into teleportation. Every dime. We don't need your silly rockets if we can TELEPORT to Mars or Santa Monica. Or the Horsehead Nebula, or Nairobi. The multiverse is our oyster! All I want is to get to LA in under two hours, is that so much to ask?!?!
5) Sorry, USDOT -- we're done funding your irrelevance. I haughtily dismiss your high-speed-rail -- sooooo 21st century. Don't need your train to nowhere when Scotty can just beam me up. Small plus: the DOT wouldn't have to change their letterhead or stationery ('cause they're now the Dept of Teleportation!)
6) I'm sure the chances of being reconstituted with your feet coming out of your eye sockets and your elbows where your jaw should be are like really, really, really, really, really infinitesimally small. Like, really small. Not even worth worrying about small. Teeny tiny.
7) And last but not least... presumably, this would free up time to do things OTHER than drive. (Technology is totally awesome for saving time -- isn't that what laptops and the internet and cell phones and email have done for us? That's how this works, right?)
At any rate, I do believe I personally would have more time to do things like write this blog. It's not like I've stopped thinking, I just haven't been doing much except driving all over the damn place.
I'd write more about this, but I have to drive home now.





No comments:
Post a Comment